9.27.2014

To Russia with Love...

Never been there. Might never go...who knows? Maybe someday, I will. I have a lot of thoughts, dreams and plans to fulfill for the rest of my life. As I think about the dishes I have eaten, cooked and contemplated, the places I have been, read about or dreamed about...it typically always boils down to food and the locale. The food of it's heritage...the food of the season...the food of the region and the food of it's life, all of which when I draw upon them for my own dishes, it is always about an interpretation. Perhaps merely a nuance of what it truly is about, but I am ok with that, as it is my own vision. I don't want to be authentic or traditional, yet my own. I want to be me and speak as to the vision I see and feel. It is my personality. After all, as Jimi sings..."I'm the one who's got to die, when it's time for me to die...so let me live my life, the way I want to". What does that have to do with anything you ask? Well, what it means, is that when asked to come up with a certain style of menu, or dish, or flavor component, it is from my thoughts as a chef and through my eyes, and just maybe, I have not been to that place, but I will put my heart and soul into it and let you know how that sings to my heart in terms of taste and flavor. Don't get me wrong, I want and aim to please my guests. Always. Here is a little tribute to a Russian singer and musician that I was asked to put a little sumptn sumptn together for...it was a dessert for a Russian music night that was really quite amazing in taste, albeit, not one damn iota of authentic-ness! Damn good times.
Apple & Currant "Blintze"
Terrine~Brown Butter Crepes, Slow Cooked Gravenstein Apple, Spice Cake
Brandy Soaked Currants, Mascarpone
Spice Cake Crumble, Nutmeg Crème Fraiche, Cider Sorbet, Apple Jam
Brandy Caramel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home